Restaurant Restoration - Common Causes of Restaurant Fires
According to the National Fire Protection Agency, there are over 3,500 restaurant fires reported each year in the United States. These fires are estimated to cost about $84 million in property damage every year. The majority of these fires are started in the cooking area of the restaurants.
Even though the rates have reduced over the years, restaurant fires are still a major concern today. You may have your smoke alarms up to code and working properly, but we all know that commercial cooking operations have a multitude of fire hazards.
5 Common Restaurant Fire Safety Issues
- Vent hood doesn’t cover all the cooking appliances: When fire starts on a cooking appliance that isn’t properly covered by a vent hood, it can’t be easily controlled and may burn down the whole kitchen.
- Inadequate cleaning of the exhaust systems: Exhaust systems usually accumulate grease which is highly inflammable and could pose a serious fire threat. Regular maintenance of the exhaust systems will come a long way in ensuring that your restaurant is safe from fire damage.
- Incorrectly installed baffle filters: These filters are specifically designed to collect grease. If they are incorrectly installed, grease may accumulate on the hood and pose a serious fire threat.
- Inadequate separation or partition between fryers and cooking appliances: Without adequate space between these two items, cooking oil can easily splash into flames and cause a fire. Ensure there is at least 16 inches of separation or use a thick noncombustible metal divider.
- Dirty vents, ceiling, hoods, and work areas: Lack of proper hygiene and sanitation in a commercial kitchen is a major risk of restaurant fires. Dirty surfaces can easily be ignited by a small flame and cause a huge fire disaster.
Call SERVPRO for Restaurant Restoration
In addition to these common causes, lack of proper fire prevention equipment and skills is also another contributing factor. As a restaurant owner , ensure that your staff is properly trained on the basic fire prevention and safety practices.
But if the damage is already done, you have a second chance with SERVPRO. We offer top-notch and quick restaurant restoration services in Forest and Magee area. Don’t let a mere fire shatter your dreams. We will restore your restaurant in no time.
Call us at 662-779-1070